DIY Vintage Style Porch Swing
Have you been thinking about building a porch swing that is unique? A swing can be hung from a tree as well as a porch, and you’ll see how easy it can be to make one for your own space in this tutorial.
Time:2 to 4 Hours
- ● Chop Saw
- ● Screw Gun
- ● Level
- ● Palm Sander
- ● Tape Measure
- ● Pencil
- ● Four – 2 x 4 - 8' long (pressure treated pine)
- ● Seven – 1 x 6 – 6′ long (pressure treated pine)
- ● Two - National Hardware Joist Hangers - 3 3/16" x 3 5/16" x 2"
- ● Four - National Hardware Corner Braces - 3 " x 3/4"
- ● Two - Boxes - #10 - 1 /1/2" x 1 1/2" National Hardware Hex Head Screws
- ● Box - 1 5/8" Deck Screws
- ● Box - 2 1/2" Deck Screws
- ● Wood Stain or Paint (Optional)
- ● Decorative Wallpaper (Optional)
- ● Polyurethane Sealer (spray or brush on)
- To Hang:
- ● Four - 1/4" x 4" Eye Hooks
- ● Four - 1/4" Quick Links
- ● Four - 3/16" Quick Links
- ● 50' 3/16" Fixed Link Chain
- Optional - Cushion For Seat In Outdoor Fabric
● Two - 1 x 6 to 53" in length
Secure two 2 1 1/2" 2 x 4's to the back of the seat platform on either end to create the back portion of the bench.
Paint or Stain
Attach Eye Hooks
Attach the 1/4" x 4" eye hooks to the ends of each 2 x 4 on all four corners.
Cut four pieces of your chain to measure as long as you need. Attach to the 1/4" quick links that are already attached to the eye hooks on each corner. Add 1/4" quick link to each eye hook.
To Hang From A Porch Beam - Attach two 1/4" x 4" eye hooks into a solid wood beam on your porch ceiling approximately 52" apart from each-other. Attach chain and drop down to about 24" above the ground.
To Hang From A Tree Branch - Find a sturdy horizontal tree branch that can support the weight of the swing plus two people. Wrap the chain around the branch while protecting the tree with rubber to prevent damage to the bark. Secure with the 3/16" quick links and drop chain down to about 24" above the ground.
For either option of placement of the swing you'll be bringing the two pieces of chain on both the left and right sides into a triangle. Attach the triangle of chain to the piece of the chain hanging down from the tree (or porch) with a quick link as shown.
- Related Product Categories:
- Decorative Reinforcement Hardware
- Reinforcement Hardware
- Metal Corner Braces & Brackets